It’s finally Friday again, and we can all take a great big exhale. We hope you enjoyed planning your calendar with our This Week post, and learning about de’Angelo Dia, who we’re starting to think is one of the most interesting people in Charlotte (who knew the Veggie Plate at Mama’s Caribbean Grill would be worth trying?).
As we head into the weekend and upcoming holiday, we’ll be reflecting on giving. For example, did you know that one very wealthy patron gave $44.4 million in exchange for Georgia O’Keefe’s Jimson Seed/White Flower No.1 (1932) at a Sotheby’s auction this week? This sale set a record for work by a female artist (only $230 million more until they catch up with the boys!), and in our eyes it is astronomical.
However, this kind of blinding figure reminds us that the holidays are upon us and that there are so, so many artists here in our own community who depend on these coming weeks to sustain them for the next year. We talk about how we wish Charlotte was a brighter light on the map of important arts communities in the Carolinas, and this is our chance to prove ourselves. It’s important that we put our money where our mouths are, and give a little bit to these artists in exchange for handcrafted, one of a kind items that will be appreciated for decades.
We really encourage you to attend one of these upcoming markets/sales that support artists in our community (and please, email us at HappeningsCLT@gmail.com if you find out about any more to add to our list).
- CPCC Art Galleries Friends & Family Market – at this first annual fundraiser, the galleries split commission with the artists 50/50, and all work is under $50. Daily, Now through December 18 in Ross Gallery II in the Overcash Building.
- Annual Jewelry and Clay Bodies Pottery Sale – Pottery and jewelry sale, items priced $5 and up.30% of sales go to fund visiting artist workshops. December 4, 10 am – 6 pm in the CPCC AU building on 4th St (between Kings and Charlottetowne).
- Winthrop Pottery Sale – The ceramics program’s signature event, the annual holiday pottery sale – and this year is its 25th year – will see the return of more than 25 alumni who have thrived in the fine arts business. December 5, noon to 6 p.m. in the basement of the Rutledge Building.
- Clayworks Annual Holiday Sale and Open House – Featuring a diverse selection of handmade pottery and ceramic sculptures created by Clayworks instructors and studio artists. Friday, December 5, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm and Saturday, December 6, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm at Clayworks.
- Roy and Barbara Strassberg Studio Open House and Pottery Sale – Enjoy work for sale by two of Charlotte’s most notable ceramicists in every price range: functional pottery, sculptural pottery, sculpture, etc. December 6 and 7 from 11-5 each day, 156 Anniston Way, Davidson, NC 28036 (from Roy: “RSVP would be nice, but not necessary. I can be reached at 704-779-8655 cell or 704315-2034 home”).
- December All Arts Market – Local Art + Holiday Season = Charlotte’s Best Unique Gifts. December 11-December 12, 6 pm – 11 pm at the Neighborhood Theater in NoDa.
- Christmas Art Sale at Flaming Chicken – all kinds of art for sale for last minute shoppers. December 21, 12-5 pm.